Schnitzer’s Corporate Governance
Sustainability is integrated into Schnitzer’s corporate governance and organizational structure, and we measure progress across a range of metrics to ensure continuous improvement.
Our Chief Sustainability Officer (CSO) reports directly to our CEO and provides regular updates to our Board of Directors, all of whom offer guidance on sustainability strategy and execution. The CSO analyzes, builds consensus for, and manages sustainability-related initiatives, projects, and goals that are supported by executive-level leadership and remain visible throughout the organization.
Additional direction comes from Schnitzer’s Sustainability Leadership Group, a cross-functional team spanning business lines, geographic regions, and job functions. The members of this group engage leaders throughout the business and collaborate on the development and deployment of sustainable and socially responsible business practices, mobilizing our workforce to apply environmental and social considerations to operational decisions.
Improving our sustainability performance requires an ongoing commitment from every Schnitzer employee. We bring this commitment to work each day through our core values, and provide tangible direction through actionable Sustainability Principles that connect employees to the triple bottom line—People, Planet, and Profit.
Schnitzer Sustainability Principles ask employees to put the Core Value of Sustainability into action by executing the following strategies:
We continuously explore and pursue practices that promote sustainable operations.
The journey to becoming a more sustainable company has no endpoint. We put the Continuous Improvement principle into action when we:
- Identify new opportunities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality.
- Define opportunities for storm, waste, and process water recycling, reuse, or recovery.
- Establish ways to improve metal feedstock quality to promote responsible material management practices.
- Develop new processes and controls to improve the safety of our workplace environment.
Technology & Innovation
We celebrate the benefits of sustainable technologies and innovation.
Sustainable technologies and innovation protect the environment and advance our ability to provide resilient products and resources to the communities where we operate. We put the Technology & Innovation principle into action when we:
- Implement new technologies such as advanced metals recovery systems.
- Construct environmental control systems to benefit local community air and water quality.
- Deploy equipment to significantly reduce GHG emissions.
- Adapt to a changing metals stream.
Working with Purpose
We are committed to positively impacting our communities and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace culture that actively supports our employees, customers, suppliers, investors, and communities.
We put the Working with Purpose principle into action when we:
- Prioritize our employees’ health and well-being.
- Promote a workplace culture where everyone is treated with respect and fairness and given equal opportunity to reach their full career potential.
- Work to address unconscious biases.
- Positively impact communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
We create sustainable value through safety improvement and operational efficiency.
Waste can be defined as wasted time or diminished productivity, as well as wasted materials sent to landfills that could otherwise be recycled. We put the Eliminate Waste principle into action when we:
- Improve safety performance.
- Increase operational efficiency.
- Invest in technologies and services that allow us to send less material to landfill.
- Participate in office and facility recycling and reuse efforts.